Tuesday, November 11, 2008

This week at Wags

Anyone but me finding Walgreen's shopping a bit dreary recently? Where are all of the great register rewards finds? If Walgreen's is changing their marketing strategy, let me be the first to say, "Boo! Hiss! Bad idea!" It was recently reported that Walgreen's third quarter earnings were up- and company execs credited coupon-ers and bargain shoppers for the higher-than-expected numbers. Note to Walgreen's: Don't start gettin' stingy with us....we'll find our deals somewhere else! Even if I have to make a weekly trip to Springfield to "play around" in CVS stores all day!

(Okay, I just slapped myself! Time to shake this funky attitude I seem to have today. Now I'm trying to be optimistic and thankful for the specials they DO have this week, although there aren't a lot of "gotta run out this second and grab it before they're gone" offerings. Darn it. **another slap/other cheek!** I'm better now.)

Here's my list for this week:

Jif Peanut Butter- sale 3 for $5.00
Buy 6 for $10.00
Use 3 $1.00 off 2 jars (-$3.00)
New price- $7.00 for 6 jars of Jif.

Coffee Mate Creamer (liquid) - sale $2.49 (BOGOfree)
Use 2 .55 cent coupons (-$1.10)
New price- $1.39 for 2 bottles of creamer.

Quaker Oats (cooking oats, not instant)- sale $2.79 (BOGOfree)
Use 2 $1.00 coupons (-$2.00)
Use IVC (coupon from ad to get sale price)
New price- .79 cents for 2.

Progresso Soup- sale 4 cans for $5.00
Buy 2 @ $2.50
Use IVC (coupon from ad to get sale price)
Use 2 $1.10 coupons (printed) (-$2.20)
New price- .30 for 2 cans of soup
*if you don't have the link to this printable, email me or leave a comment- I'll get it to you. You are allowed to print 2 per computer.*

Clabber Girl Corn Starch and/or Baking Powder- sale 2/$1.00
Use IVC (coupon from ad to get sale price)
Use .50 cent coupon for each (-$1.00)
New price- Free!

Kellogg's Cereal (Raisin Bran, Special K, Smart Start, Frosted Mini Wheats)
Sale- 4 boxes for $10.00...gives a $2.00 Register Reward
Buy 4 boxes @ $10.00
Use 4 $1.00 coupons for various qualifying cereals (-$4.00)
New price- 4 boxes for $6.00
Receive RR- $2.00
In the end, 4 boxes of cereal for $4.00 or $1.00 each!

Kleenex Tissues- sale $2.19 (BOGOfree)
Buy 2 @ $2.19
Use 2 .40 cent coupons (-.80 cents)
New price- $1.39/2 boxes

Glade Freshening Spray- sale .99 cents
Buy 2 @ $1.98
Use IVC (ad coupon to get sale price)
Use BOGOfree coupon (-.99cents off)
New price- .99 cents/2 bottles

SoftSoap Bodywash- sale $3.99 ea. receive $4.00 RR when you buy 2
Buy 2 @ $7.98
Use 2 $1.00 internet coupons (-$2.00)
New price $5.98
Receive $4.00 Register Reward
In the end, pay $1.98 for 2 bottles

Colgate Toothpaste- sale $2.49
Use Easy Saver coupon- $1.00 off
Use manufacturer's coupon for $1.50 off
New price- +. 01 overage/free!

Venus Intuition Razors (Only if you got in on the VocalPoint survey a while back)
Sale- $6.99
Use Easy Saver coupon ($-3.00)
Use $4.00 off coupon from VocalPoint (-$4.00)
New price- +.01 overage/free!
*If you would like information on VocalPoint, let me know! They keep sending me all kinds of free stuff- (really good stuff!) and lots of high value coupons!)*

Kotex products- sale 2/$6.00
Use $1.00 Easy Saver coupon
Use 2 $1.00 manufacturer coupons
New price- 2/$3.00

Sudafed PE 10-24 count or Sudacare 3 pack shower soothers- sale $3.99 ea.
Buy 3, get $5 RR
Buy 3 at $3.99- $11.97
Use 3 $1.50 coupons (-$4.50)
New price- $7.47
Receive $5 register reward
End up paying $2.47/3 products

To roll the register rewards from one product to another, I will probably do this:
(Remember, you can't use your RR from say, SoftSoap to buy more SoftSoap or else the register won't print off another RR. You need to alternate between products with differing manufacturer's for this to work right!)

Upon arriving at Walgreen's, I'll grab my buggy and locate the following: (by the way, I have lots of other items listed above that I will be purchasing during this week. If you're just starting this, don't confuse yourself and try to buy it all at once! Break it down in small transactions like I'm about to illustrate.)

Locate in the store: 2 bottles of SoftSoap, 3 boxes of Sudafed, and 4 boxes of Kellogg's cereal. I'm going to be doing 3 different transactions. Before going to the register, find a cheap "filler" item, such as a purse-size pack of kleenex, a single pencil- something super cheap that you're not using a coupon for! You will need one for a couple of the transactions below. I will be doing a "lesson" on fillers in an upcoming blog very soon. Until then, just trust me. This item can range from a value of a penny to whatever, but obviously, the cheaper the better. It can be a .15 cent pack of kleenex or a box of jello- something you will put to use later- just make sure it's cheap! Again, you need 2. I'll get the kleenex.

First place the SoftSoap on the counter
After using coupons my total will be $5.98 plus tax. I will have to pay this out of pocket. But I will receive a $4 RR at the end of the transaction. I will then use the $4 RR on......

In my basket, I will have 3 boxes of Sudafed ready for my next transaction. I'll place these on the counter along with a "filler"....my little pack of kleenex for .15 cents. I'll use my coupons and the total will be somewhere around $7.62 for the 3 boxes. Then I'll hand over the $4 RR I received from the SoftSoap. The register will deduct that $4 and my new total out of pocket will be $3.62 for the 3 boxes of sudafed and my kleenex. I will receive a new register reward of $5.00 at the end of this transaction.

Then, I'll put the cereal on the counter and my "filler" (kleenex) for the 3rd transaction. I'll use my coupons and my total will be $6.15. I will then hand over the $5 RR from the Sudafed, and my balance will be $1.15 for 4 boxes of cereal and a package of kleenex. I'll pay the $1.15 out of pocket, but then receive another register reward for $2 to use next time.

So, all in all: I'm leaving the store with 2 softsoap, 3 sudafed, 4 boxes of cereal and 2 packs of kleenex for my purse. My total out of pocket will be around $10.75, but don't forget about the $2.00 RR I still have from the cereal.....so it makes it a new total of $8.75 for all.

Email me with questions! Gotta go start cooking a roast in my crockpot!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew I had received some emails from Coffeemate with pretty good coupons. So, I went and checked out their site today. You have to register on there...which is free. But, then I was able to print off 1 coupon that is $1.00 off any 15oz liquid or powder (which you might be able to use 2 of these on the BOGO at WAGS). Jodie- please clarify your thoughts on this. Or, I also got a coupon for $1.50 off 2. Either way, they are both great coupons. You should check out the site at www.coffee-mate.com

Jodie said...

Nicole: Yay! Great coupons- thank you! In response to using the $1.00 off coupon twice, my theory is this: Go for it! Only once have I ever encountered a problem with a cashier saying we can't use 2 coupons on a BOGOfree sale. (And that time I chalked it up to the girl being inexperienced and not knowing what she was talking about.) I have had much success with using a coupon for both the item I'm purchasing as well as the free item. In this case, the first coffee-mate would probably ring up at $1.25 and the other at $1.24. Even though it's BOGO, they are still charging you- just at a discounted price. There really is no reason why you shouldn't be able to use 2 coupons, unless of course the first rang up at $2.49 and the second $0. Their registers aren't set up that way. So by all means, if you can print off 2, I'd give it a try! If they say no, give them the $1.50 coupon instead! Great find!