Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jodie against Wal-Mart or is it Wal-Mart against Jodie?

Well, BLECKH. (Bleckh= a word used to describe disgust...irritation...agitation. One uses said word when more common words fall short of expressing true disgust. It should be noted that when attempting to pronounce the word "Bleckh", one must try sounding as if they are coughing nasty substances from the bottom of their lungs.)

Figured out my mood? Well, here's a good one for you. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about it. Any advice?

Sunday evening, I went to WalMart to ad-match and use coupons. I had my plan perfectly planned out. It was beautiful. It looked like I was going to buy enough groceries (and stock up on some other things) to last at least a week- and the only items I was paying much for at all was going to be milk, bread, eggs, bananas, etc. (Anyone ever seen any banana coupons? Wouldn't that be great?)

At the register I was told by a CSR (customer service rep) after scanning everything in twice at two different registers and having problems with my coupons....that I had saved enough money with the ad-match that she would not take my coupons off my total. The register would require an override, and she wouldn't do it because SHE thought I had saved enough already!

Is this legal? When all of my ad-matches were legit to deny me the use of my coupons because I was saving TOO MUCH money? When I explained to her that WalMart's policies clearly state how happy they are to match their competitor's ads....and how their coupon policy reads that they are supposedly coupon-friendly....and how I don't recall reading anywhere how a CSR had the authority to deny a customer the right to use coupons at her own discretion. She wouldn't budge.

I asked to speak to the manager on duty- all the while keeping my cool but RAGING on the inside. She supposedly called for a manager, but after about 20 minutes of waiting, the manager never arrived. My phone rang- my hubby was wondering if I had gotten lost- and he was starving! I told the CSR to just forget it. To have fun putting away the buggy-full of groceries, because I wasn't waiting any longer. I'd just go over her head, her manager's head and call the corporate office the next morning. She acted as if that didn't phase her at all.

I left empty handed, so frustrated and so very disappointed. How can an employee so blatantly refuse to adhere to her own company's written policy? She acted as if my savings were actually coming out of her paycheck or something ridiculous like that. You'd think she'd be glad to see someone come in and save money for their family- quite the contrary.

I've cooled down enough now to call corporate. I'll be doing just that when they open- and I'll let you know how it turns out. It's JODIE against WALMART...let's see who wins. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

mominmo said...

You go girl!!! Walmart is not the king; if they are going to honor/match coupons, then they should do so!

Hope you got an apology from a higher up. Keep us posted!

Jodie said...

mominmo: Thanks for the encouragement! I called and emailed corporate yesterday, so far receiving no response. It's been amazing how many people have encountered this same problem, so I'm anxious to find out the real scoop from a person in authority. It would be great for all of us to have the "official word" from the top so we're armed with the information in advance when random employees try making up their own rules. Rest assured, I don't intend to let this incident get swept under the rug! :)